The Timeless Thank You Card

This past Sunday, three days post-birthday, I spent the sunny afternoon writing handwritten thank you cards for the sweet someones who planned a few extra special celebrations for me.

Although I work with most and see them in person at least five days a week, a thank you card is still an absolute must! I take very seriously the Southern charm and etiquette that I was taught growing up (and am continually learning). A thank you card is a definite yes in almost every circumstance possible.

Via a few Pinterest pins, web searches, and etiquette book research, here are some tried-and-true tips and advice for the timeless thank you card:


Best Format
  1. Write the full date in the top, right corner. All the better for scrapbooking and memory boxes!
  2. Start with "Dear [Name]". Although I have many the nickname for a few of my closest friends, I usually stick with their full first name, however difficult it may be to want to throw in a private inside joke. Use their title as a formality if necessary (Mr., Mrs., Ms.).
  3. "Thank you for the..." (Name the gift--be specific and use fun, descriptive words) I adore using not-so-typical descriptive words for things..sometimes so much that I get the occasional giggle, like the time I described someone's cute sweater as "raspberry" instead of just plain, old "pink". By the way, there is a huge difference between a raspberry-colored sweater and a pink sweater. Thesaurus.com may or may not become one of your go-to websites for this.
  4. Next, state how you plan to use the gift. This can be a toughy if the gift was something you already devoured (the pink lemonade cupcakes were delish!) or you may have to return because it was the wrong size or simply not your style at all. Just promise me that you will NOT lie or exxagerate. If you tell Grandma just how much you loved the oversized, orange knit sweater with a monkey on the front I can almost guarantee you will get something similar next holiday!
  5. This section is one of my favorites: tell why you are thankful for the person (or people) who gave you the gift. Think about this one beforehand and really mean what you say. Starting with "I am truly blessed" or "beyond thankful" is always a go-to for me.
  6. Close it out--you are almost done! I know how much of a change it can be to write a whole note by hand instead of just grabbing your iPhone and texting your thanks. Simply end the note by thanking them again.
  7. "Sincerely," or if you are close with the person you can personalize this with "Love", "Best", or my personal favorite "xoxo" then your name.



Thank You Note Tips and Favorites
  • Buy pretty stationery or cards! My girlfriends know how much I melt over gorgeous thank you and blank notecards, so they are almost a given as a gift-giving idea for me! For the gal on a strict budget: check the clearance endcaps at Target and hit up your local Marshalls or T.J. Maxx for some designer paperie at a discount!
  • "Better late than never" is a saying I probably live out a bit too much in my day-to-day, but it is certainly true in this case. Sending a late thank you note is much better than not sending one at all!
  • Personal handwriting versus typed fonts (because yes, it MUST be handwritten) can get a bit sloppy if you are not careful, so be sure to take your time, maybe even write it out on scrap paper first, and indent your sections/paragraphs for easy readability.
  • Use a nice ink pen, if at all possible. Pencils just will not do and fade quick over time. Ballpoint pens typically do not look as nice or fancy, but if that is all you have then go for it.

Here are a few of my absolute favorite thank you and blank notecards:


Find them here: Gold Foil Thanks, Confetti, Champagne, Merci

Happy writing!
xoxo,
R

Comments